WHO WE ARE
Artists and scientists alike are focused on exploring the world and trying to understand the universe through introspection, examination and experimentation. A diversity of perspectives and methodologies leads to inclusive dialogue, new knowledge creation, community innovation and social change.
Tackling the intractable challenges of our global society requires a brand new language – a language of transdisciplinarity, interconnectedness and intersectionality. Such conversations require new platforms that are able to spark the collision of ideas across disciplines and sectors. Relational Space is a space of inclusivity and accessibility.
Cross-pollination quickens creativity and innovation. Relational Space's model brings diverse scientists and artists together to collaborate around powerful data-driven narratives in order to co-create immersive installations. Immersive events are able to engage both sides of our brains, rises past politics, and reach deep into our hearts, to ignite emotions and fuel social action.
Relational Space facilitates collaborative sessions between artists and scientists to co-create immersive 'Evidence-based Art': Immersive installations presented in relation to empirically supported narratives that promote transformational social change. We are especially focused on issues that promote justice and equity for disadvantaged/disabled populations and provide community education and growth.
Relational Space offers a platform for intersectional communication and collaboration among artists, scientists, policy-makers and community activists. We build immersive events derived from crosscutting knowledge exchange to bridge partisan divides, inspire new insights, engage the community with compelling artistic expression and promote transformative learning and social change.
Relational Space is a queer-run, feminist organization offering an inclusive space for artistic expression, the dissemination of scholarly knowledge, and community action. We address intractable issues of equity and social justice to promote transformational social change, especially for historically marginalized populations. We accomplish our mission by engaging visitors in compelling worlds able to mobilize sensation, imagination and agency.
To build a more just and sustainable world inspired through art and informed by truth.
Relational Space works with diverse artists and scientists to co-curate contemporary art exhibitions and scholarly forums that explore emergent political, scientific and social themes. Immersive installations are created based on crosscutting, evidence-based narratives that promote inclusion, equity and social transformation.
Relational Space accomplishes its mission in six ways:
1. Art exhibitions and forums – Relational Space provides a collaborative space for the co-curation of immersive experiences featuring both contemporary art and scholarly forums. Exhibitions connect diverse media, disciplines, cultures and contexts within immersive environments. Immersive environments that are collaborative and participatory introduce new perspectives able to challenge the status quo and transcend partisan points of view, thereby providing innovative methodologies for artistic expression and dissemination of knowledge related to intractable social issues. Topics are chosen for their capacity to promote equity, collective well-being, and to bring all voices to the table for knowledge sharing and collaboration.
2. Education – Relational Space provides (in-person and virtual) cultural and educational opportunities through the exploration of themes to enrich the community and champion social justice. The organization brings individuals together from multiple disciplines and mediums to address critical issues impacting marginalized sectors and the greater community. Relational Space aims to promote dialogue, critical thinking, innovative expression and social change. Education includes, but is not limited to:
b. Multi-media publications
c. Mentoring and internships
d. Cross-cutting curations
3. Collaboration – Relational Space offers the community at large free access to richly immersive exhibitions bringing together interesting scientific findings and diverse and compelling artistic expression. Cross-sector, multi-disciplinary and grassroots collaborations cultivate communication that is mutually beneficial and facilitates community problem solving and innovative social action.
4. Capacity building – Relational Space builds the capacity of individuals, communities and cross-sector organizations, empowering intersectional, confidant and competent voices to tackle issues that impact their own communities through co-curated exhibitions, workshops, forums and multi-media resources. Boundary spanning events promotes innovation and sustainable social change, especially with disadvantaged and underrepresented populations.
5. Civic engagement – Relational Space engages the community with artistic expression and scientific knowledge through co-curated immersive exhibitions. We address issues of public concern, especially in the service of communities who are often overlooked and/or otherwise marginalized to promote an equitable and just quality of life for all.
6. Sustainability – Relational Space measures program outcomes to quantify methodologies and identify mission successes. Metrics are used to tailor strategic planning, demonstrate community impact and ensure feedback loops that lead to sustainable development goals.
Relational Space understands the complex and important role of art and science in free expression and the pursuit of truth. We affirm as a priority dialogue and debate regardless of gender, race, education, class, age, occupation, culture, language, sexuality, religion or ability. Our core values drive our constant pursuit of organizational excellence:
Communication – We communicate in a positive, honest and productive manner within the organization, with our partners and with the public.
Gratitude – Relational Space infuses a culture of gratitude throughout our organization and to all who might contribute to our success.
Diversity – This queer run organization promotes inclusiveness and impartiality in all programming and services. We are dedicated to building an equitable society for all, with specific focus on frequently overlooked and marginalized communities .
Innovation – We are committed to working with crosscutting partners and creating bridges with the community to facilitate new opportunities for artistic expression, knowledge creation and knowledge exchange.
Integrity – Relational Space adheres to the highest standards of ethics, stewardship and public trust, internally and externally.
Personal Responsibility – Relational Space assumes personal responsibility for organizational effectiveness and initiatives to achieve our mission, with metrics for accountability.
Respect – The organization will demonstrate the highest regard for others, the art entrusted to us and the free exchange of evidence-based information, ideas and opinions.
Teamwork – We promote high performance through cooperative efforts, open communication, collective action and trust, celebrating the contributions made from all levels and partners of the organization.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Leigh W. Jerome, Ph.D. (Founder, Executive Director) (she/her/they)
Jane Buzek Breckwoldt, MFA, ABD (she/her)
William E. Newnam, M.A. (he/him)